Hockey has been played in Barnsley since at least 1912. Barnsley Hockey Club was re-formed in 1924 after members of the Carlton and Stairfoot teams joined forces to play at Shaw Lane as Barnsley Hockey Club. The team, who boasted an international goalkeeper, G V Spooner, commenced their fixures against Kimberworth, losing 2-0 on that occasion. The pitch at Shaw Lane was used by Yorkshire who played several county matches there.
In 1949 the official town guide even comments that "Barnsley Ladies Hockey Club flourishes and has a mounting membership" Eventually the club disbanded in 1959 after playing at the Girls High School in Huddersfield Road for a number of years.
Ladies Hockey returned to Barnsley after an absence of 13 years in 1972. A group of players decided that the sport should be re-introduced to the town and formed a team. The first practice match was held at Barnsley RUFC's ground in Wombwell Lane, Stairfoot organised by a group led by soon to be captain, Felicity Lidster.
Many people turned up to play in the game as hockey enthusiasts had to either abandon the sport or make tedious and expensive journeys to play their sport in other towns. Barnsley Ladies Hockey Club rose again like a phoenix from the ashes.
In 1973 the club found a permanent home playing on the outfield at Shaw Lane as the grass was too long at Wombwell Lane to play in the leagues. The club had a fair amount of success winning promotion to the Sheffield League Division 2 in 1973/4 and becoming a fixture in the first division for many years. The club left Shaw Lane in the early 90s as the requirement was that all matches be played on Astroturf. After a spell at Dorothy Hyman Sports Centre, the Club now plays at Darton High School.